pg_archive_bypass

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_archive_bypass
Date: 2010-06-14 10:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I tend to consider it a bug that there's no known way under windows to
use the same trick as under Unix by using '/usr/bin/true' as your
archive command. And this Unix trick itself does feel like a hack.

Also I'd very much like to be able to recommend (even if not change the
official defaults) to setup wal_level to archive, archive_mode=on and
archive_command=pg_archive_bypass, so that the day you have a HA budget
ain't the day you're going to restart the server to enable the fault
tolerance settings…

So please find attached a very simple "let's see about it" patch to
implement an internal archive_command that just returns true and is
called pg_archive_bypass. It's missing documentation, which I'll provide
if needed (meaning there's some will to consider applying such a patch).

Regards,
--
dim

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_archive_bypass.diff text/x-diff 1.1 KB