How to restore from pg_dumpall output

From: Laura Conrad <lconrad(at)laymusic(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to restore from pg_dumpall output
Date: 2003-02-13 14:02:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a database that was built under a Mandrake 7.2 postgres
installation. I am now running Debian (woody) on that machine, with
postgresql 7.2.1.

I still have the data directory from the old installation, so I
started a postmaster on a non-standard port, with a -D pointing to
that directory, and as the postgres user did:

pg_dumpall -p 8050 >/tmp/db.sql

I then tried to restore (again as the postgres user), as documented in
the pg_dumpall man page:

psql -f /tmp/db.sql template1

It does a few things, and then says:

psql:/tmp/db.sql:16: \connect: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication
failed for user "bostonre"

I would have thought the postgres user would be able to restore stuff
for any user. What am I doing wrong?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad(at)laymusic(dot)org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (801) 365-6574