Re: Aggregate ORDER BY patch

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Aggregate ORDER BY patch
Date: 2009-11-16 03:25:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom> I agree with Hitoshi that this seems to be a hack to deal with the
[snip]

So copying the way that SELECT DISTINCT works would be the way to go?
i.e. keeping separate lists in the parse node for sorting and distinct?

What about error handling? If the user specifies agg(distinct x) where
x is not sortable, do we leave it to the planner to detect that (which
means not reporting the error position?)

--
Andrew.