Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?
Date: 2005-06-28 19:21:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:

> 1. In your meaning, btree has bad split algorithm too. Look at _bt_compare, if
> first keys on page are unique the the later keys will not be compared ;)

I'm confused now. I was under the impression that gist didn't look at
subsequent columns if the first column was identical.

Maybe I got it backwards and it's insert that fails to look at subsequent
columns but page split handles it ok? So if you insert lots of tuples with
identical first columns the page will be split intelligently but then
subsequent inserts will be distributed essentially randomly between the two
resulting pages.

--
greg