Re: PostGreSQL and zlib

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Hubert FONGARNAND" <informatique(dot)internet(at)fiducial(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Arnaud Balandras" <a(dot)balandras(at)fiducial(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: PostGreSQL and zlib
Date: 2007-10-25 10:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Hubert FONGARNAND" <informatique(dot)internet(at)fiducial(dot)fr> writes:

> I'm sure it's very easy to implement as a C function that would call zlib
>
> Is there already an implementation of such things?

Not that I'm aware though you might look at pgcrypto. Good crypto has to
compress first so there may be a possibility of just doing the compression.

Postgres also will automatically try to compress data like byteas if the
record is larger than 2kB (1/4 of the block size if you've changed the block
size). So you may not have to do anything if you're just looking to save space
on disk.

--
Gregory Stark