Re: now() more precise than the transaction

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: RobertD(dot)Stewart(at)mail(dot)state(dot)ky(dot)us, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: now() more precise than the transaction
Date: 2003-02-04 20:39:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 14:27:03 -0500,
> RobertD(dot)Stewart(at)mail(dot)state(dot)ky(dot)us wrote:
> > Try CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
> > You should be able to get your time that way

The documentation explicitly says now() is just an alias for
current_timestamp. I don't know that it's right but I assume so.

> I think he wants timeofday. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP should be the same as
> now('transaction'), which I think he said wasn't what he wanted.

timeofday appears to return text though. Do I just assume it will always cast
cleanly to a timestamp? It doesn't seem to be in the same format as timestamps
print though.

Btw, no need to quote back the whole original message, I keep outgoing
messages.

--
greg