Re: Very Poor Insert Performance

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Damien Dougan <damien(dot)dougan(at)mobilecohesion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very Poor Insert Performance
Date: 2003-10-27 18:01:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Damien Dougan <damien(dot)dougan(at)mobilecohesion(dot)com> writes:

> Our batch upload is performing a number of stored procedures to insert data on
> the database. Initially, this results in quite good performance, but rapidly
> spirals down to approximately 1 per second after some minutes.

It's fairly unlikely anyone will be able to help without you saying what
you're doing. What are these procedures doing? What do the tables look like?
What indexes exist?

At a guess the foreign key relationships you're enforcing don't have indexes
to help them. If they do perhaps postgres isn't using them.

--
greg