Re: Nonexistent pid in pg_locks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Uhl <joeuhl(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nonexistent pid in pg_locks
Date: 2009-07-08 19:42:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Joe Uhl <joeuhl(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Jul 8, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm. In any case that shouldn't have led to a lock left hanging.
>> Assuming that it was a regular and not autovacuum, do you know what
>> the exact command would have been? (In particular, FULL, ANALYZE,
>> etc options)

> They were VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE. Specifically run with "/usr/bin/
> vacuumdb -v --analyze $DB_NAME" in the cron job each night.

We had bugs long ago (8.0 or before) where SIGTERM'ing a backend could
result in lock entries not getting cleaned up, but that's all fixed now
AFAIK. I tried some simple experiments with SIGTERM'ing a VACUUM in
8.3.x and couldn't reproduce a problem. So there must have been some
other contributing factor here, but without any idea what it was, it's
hard to investigate further :-(