Re: [HACKERS] Kerberos 5 breakage.

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO>
To: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Kerberos 5 breakage.
Date: 1998-05-20 17:03:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Matthew N. Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net> writes:

> I've compiled with kerberos 4 compatibility mode libraries in kerberos 5
> and it appears to compile, link and run but I've not got a good testbed
> for kerberos 4.

The Kerberos 4 stuff works fine with real Kerberos 4 libraries.

> While Kerberos 5 authentication and authorization is nice, I'd like to
> investigate the possibility of adding encryption as well.

Absolutely. This should be specified in the pg_hba.conf file, so that
you could demand Kerberos authentication plus encryption for sensitive
data. When not demanded by pg_hba.conf, it should be a client option.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"