Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih(at)nhh(dot)no>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain), scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Date: 1999-01-07 12:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:

> Just wanted to clear that up.

Just for the record, I was _not_ attacking D'Arcy or anyone else! If
anyone, I'm the one who's to blame for the delays and misunderstanding
over the IP (CIDR) data type, since what I implemented (based on code
from Paul Vixie), was not actually in accordance with prior consensus
on pgsql-hackers.

My posting, the one that D'Arcy followed up and you then commented on
now, was meant to suggest that when it finally became clear that I'd
misunderstood, and implemented something different from what was
wanted, it was really too close to the release date to try to fix it.
The best handling would, in my opinion, have been to quickly decide
whether to use it anyway or postpone it until the next release.

As it turned out, D'Arcy did have time to modify and extend the code
into an acceptable solution, so everything actually worked out well.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"