Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data
Date: 2005-11-04 02:17:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Another way to look at this is in the context of compression: With
> unicode, characters are really 32bit values... But only a small range
> of these values is common. So we store and work with them in a
> compressed format, UTF-8.

> As such it might be more interesting to ask some other questions like:
> are we using the best compression algorithm for the application, and,
> why do we sometimes stack two compression algorithms?

Actually, the real reason we use UTF-8 and not any of the
sorta-fixed-size representations of Unicode is that the backend is by
and large an ASCII, null-terminated-string engine. *All* of the
supported backend encodings are ASCII-superset codes. Making
everything null-safe in order to allow use of UCS2 or UCS4 would be
a huge amount of work, and the benefit is at best questionable.