Re: Using GUIDs

From: "Paul S" <plabrh1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using GUIDs
Date: 2006-07-12 02:40:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have implemented GUID's in an application that needed them. We needed
globally unique PK's and although Postgres did not offer them as a datatype,
we used C# to perform that function. The Postgres database attribute ended
up being a varchar(39). Not as performant as having Postgres natively do it
but it works. :) The good thing is that the GUID is calculated before the
insert into the database so it's actually using the middle tier's resources
to compute it. (ok, it's a small amount but it's nice that the DB didn't
have to pay that price)

Paul