Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8
Date: 2002-11-06 00:27:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Erm, no -- Reinhard Max already sent a fix for this to -patches, Tom
> had an objection to it, and then Reinhard posted another version
> (which presumably satisfies Tom's objections).

Peter didn't like it ... which is about what I'd expected, but I was
keeping quiet till he weighed in ...

I'm guessing that what we need to do is -D_GNU_SOURCE somewhere in the
Makefiles; the $64 question is exactly where (can we restrict it to
src/pl/plperl?) and what conditions should cause the Makefiles to add
it? Do we want a configure test?

FWIW, I see no such failure on HPUX with Perl 5.8.0, but that seems to
be because Perl's HAS_CRYPT_R symbol doesn't get set here. Which is odd
in itself, because crypt_r() is definitely available on this platform.