RE: Re: extremely newbie questions

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Nicholas Chan'" <yumin(at)pl(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Postgresql Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: extremely newbie questions
Date: 2001-01-22 14:58:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

You can compile PostgreSQL to run on your PC if you are running NT4 or W2K
(that's how I develop pgAdmin when I'm parked in front of the telly at home
with my laptop!). You need to use the Cygwin package - there are
instructions in the PostgreSQL tarball.

> So are there any other alternatives on using PostgreSQL on a
> standalone
> windows based PC? And are there any converters around to convert
> microsoft based databases to a PostgreSQL readable format?

Yes, pgAdmin does that (converts Access tables/indexes but *not* programs to
PostgreSQL). I think a little clarification is needed here: pgAdmin is an
admin/design tool for the PostgreSQL database system. PostgreSQL is *not*
just a file like a simple Access database, it is a program that accepts and
processes SQL queries and returns resultsets when appropriate. It has it's
own data files that pgAdmin knows nothing about.

Typically PostgreSQL will run on a server and accept connections from 1 or
many (perhaps hundereds) of client programs (or people running the same
program). pgAdmin is one such program that just happens to be designed to
help manage and build your databases.

Check out www.postgresql.org for more info.

Regards,

Dave.