Changing User Passwords

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changing User Passwords
Date: 1999-09-22 07:45:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

Using pg_shadow based passwords I'm having trouble figuring out how a user
can change their own password via ODBC. The only way I can see of doing this
is with ALTER USER, but of course this fails (as shown in the snippet from
psql)

valesoft=> alter user jbeirne with password xxxx;

ERROR: alterUser: user "jbeirne" does not have SELECT and UPDATE privilege
for "pg_shadow"

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Regards,

Dave.