Comparing bit in an integer field

From: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Comparing bit in an integer field
Date: 2009-11-16 14:00:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I need to compare the bit values of a integer field in my table. For
example, I have a table called "t1" with just one field "a1" having
following values:

a1
==
0
12
8
0
1
10
7
19

I am trying to fetch all records where the 3rd binary bit is 1, which from
the above example should be 12 (00001100) and 7 (00000111). If I convert the
values to binary and store it as string, I can easily compare them using
substr, but would rather like to retain the integer field. I have tried
using the get_bit function, but it seems my understanding of the function is
not correct.

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Amitabh