SSL connection failure

From: "David Patricola" <david(dot)patricola(at)jefferson(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SSL connection failure
Date: 2011-03-30 15:27:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

The server I am connecting to is Redhat with postgres 8.2, running with ssl
enabled. The client I am connecting from is Windows 2003 with ColdFusion 8
Enterprise (runs on a Java engine). I set up all the certificates and can
connect securely on my desktop with pgAdmin3. I copied the same root.crt to
the above Windows box, and installed it in the keystore using the following:

E:\JRun4\jre\bin>keytool -importcert -alias dca -file
E:\Jrun4\jre\lib\security\root.crt -keystore
E:\Jrun4\jre\lib\security\cacerts

After restarting java services, I retest the datasource connection
(jdbc:postgresql://x.x.x.x/main?ssl) and get the fail message
"org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed." with no
details in any logs to provide details. The connection works without ssl
fine.

I'm at a loss for where the handshake failure is occurring. Please note
that this is the closest to working with java I've ever done.

David Patricola | Senior Cold Fusion Developer | Web Applications & Services
| Jefferson Information Technologies

Thomas Jefferson Universtiy | Philadelphia, PA | 215.503.1715 (Office)