Casting varchar to bytea

From: "Dylan Milks" <DMilks(at)greenridge(dot)ca>
To: "PostgreSQL (E-mail)" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Casting varchar to bytea
Date: 2003-09-12 18:39:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi. Could someone please tell me how to convert a "varchar" to a "bytea" datatype.

I have a column which contains a number stored as a varchar. I have another column of type bytea. I'm trying to insert the value of the varchar column in the bytea column, but the conversion won't work.

Something like the following:

update webuser set ccnum = ccnumstring::bytea where userid=userid;

Any ideas how to do this?

Also, I have the PGCRYPTO module and I can't get the AES algorithm to decrypt properly. It will encrypt, but not decrypt. However, I can get the BLOWFISH algorithm to work in both directions. Can someone please give me an example of decrypting using the AES algorithm?

Thanks in advance.

Dylan