Re: BUG #12050: Orphaned base files

From: Jamie Koceniak <jkoceniak(at)mediamath(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12050: Orphaned base files
Date: 2014-11-25 03:39:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

We only have one database and all the orphaned files are located under:
/postgresql/9.1/main/base/31858

It looks like we have over 100G of orphaned files in the /postgresql/9.1/main/base/31858 directory.
For example, I am unable to locate 2600102740 in the master pg_class system table but these files exist in the data directory.
Are there any other system tables I should be looking at?

Example orphaned files:
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:56 2600102740
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:56 2600102740.1
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 15:06 2600102740.10
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 116482048 Nov 10 15:06 2600102740.11
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:56 2600102740.2
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:56 2600102740.3
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:57 2600102740.4
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:57 2600102740.5
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:57 2600102740.6
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 14:57 2600102740.7
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 15:03 2600102740.8
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 10 15:04 2600102740.9
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 2949120 Nov 10 13:27 2600102740_fsm

What is the process for cleaning up files in a data directory when you can't locate the tables in the system tables like pg_class?

Thanks!