Initdb problem - catch 22?

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Initdb problem - catch 22?
Date: 2007-12-19 14:17:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi people,

Right I've setup postgres numerous times without a problem, and this
time I'm using all the same stuff but running into a problem where
initdb won't run without the postgres server running, and the
postgres server will not run without the postgresql.conf etc that
initdb creates!

To start with I tried the following:

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb SEE --encoding='LATIN1'

Which gave me the error :

createdb: could not connect to database
postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

So okay, I'll try and start the server:

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /data/postgres
>/data/postgres/psql.log 2>&1 &

and in psql.log I get the error:

"postgres cannot access the server configuration file
"/data/postgres/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"

I shout at it I know!!!! Initdb should have done it!!

Anyone got any idea what's eating my lunch? Maybe I ran something in
the wrong order?

Thanks
Glyn

now.