Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Kevin Murphy <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-15 03:07:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

> Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
>> DB2 has automatically updated the "shmmax" kernel
>> parameter from "33554432" to the recommended value "268435456".

> This seems like a bogus thing for an application to do though. The Redhat
> people seem happy with the idea but I'm pretty sure it would violate several
> Debian packaging rules.

FWIW, I don't think Red Hat would accept it either.

> ISTM the right way to make it go away is to allocate temporary files and mmap
> them instead of using sysv shared memory.

That's a non-starter unless you can point to a different kernel API that
(a) is as portable as SysV and (b) offers the same amount of assistance
towards preventing multiple postmasters in the same data directory.
See many, many previous discussions in -hackers.