Re: psql tab completion & USERSET vars

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql tab completion & USERSET vars
Date: 2004-02-09 02:47:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> While reviewing Andrew Dunstan's patch that implements the
> log_disconnections GUC var, I noticed that tab-complete.c in psql
> claims that only "USERSET and possibly SUSET" GUC variables should be
> included in the list of variables that can be auto-completed.

I think I was the one who put in that suggestion (which I agree has been
largely ignored subsequently). The motivation was to avoid cluttering
the tab completion facility with seldom-used parameters. As an example,
the presence of the "stats_xxx" parameters in the tab list means more
keystrokes are needed to type "statement_timeout". Seems like this is a
bad tradeoff considering that people would rarely bother to look at the
stats settings.

I'm not by any means wedded to the "USERSET and possibly SUSET" policy,
but I would like to stop somewhere short of "include everything". Any
thoughts?