Re: Deadlock situation?

From: "Dan Armbrust" <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: dan(at)sidhe(dot)org
Cc: "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deadlock situation?
Date: 2008-05-01 15:38:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:36 PM, <dan(at)sidhe(dot)org> wrote:
> > In this case, Postgres had been started in the foreground on a
> > terminal, so I went to that terminal, and did a ctrl-c. Eventually,
> > postgres stopped, but the terminal wouldn't respond either - and I had
> > to close it.
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you maybe have XOFF'd the terminal? I've had
> cases in the past where Postgres got unhappy and froze when it couldn't
> write logging information to stderr. (Though, granted, in the cases I hit
> the server's stderr was redirected to a pipe that was full, so it's not
> 100% analogous)

Its certainly possible that something "interesting" happened to the
terminal. We do have an issue with a KVM switch on this machine that
sometimes causes all sorts of unpredictable random garbage input to
hit the screen when you switch to the system.

If I can't reproduce the problem (which so far I have not been able
to) I'll probably let it go, perhaps naively believeing that some
terminal issue set off the chain of events.

Thanks,

Dan