Re: connection handling in 7.4.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scott(dot)yeadon(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connection handling in 7.4.1
Date: 2004-01-26 16:55:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Scott Yeadon <scott(dot)yeadon(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au> writes:
> The log output postgres returned is as follows:
> FATAL: the database system is shutting down

Sounds to me like something told the postmaster to shut down (sent it a
SIGTERM signal, in other words). If you are certain you did not do this
manually, look around to see if there's any resource-limiting code in
effect that might try to kill the postmaster after it's used X amount of
cpu time or disk space or whatever.

> A secondary issue is that postmaster will not shut down properly under 7.4.1,
> I always have to use the "fast" shutdown mode.

You have a client that's not letting go of its connection.