Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection
Date: 2010-04-19 23:18:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas escribi:
>> Would it be possible to set up a skeleton environment where we can
>> access shared catalogs only and then decide on which database we're
>> using later?

> Eh? We already do that ... In fact the autovac launcher is always
> connected to shared catalogs, without being connected to any one
> database in particular (cf. get_database_list)

Hmm. The AV launcher is only permitted to touch pg_database.
At the time there were considerable advantages to that restriction,
but subsequent changes (like getting rid of the need for manual
maintenance of pg_attribute entries for bootstrap catalogs) might
mean that it wouldn't be too painful to extend this capability to
pg_authid etc. Could be worth thinking about.