Re: [HACKERS] scanner/parser for FOREIGN KEY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL HACKERS)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] scanner/parser for FOREIGN KEY
Date: 2000-01-03 15:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> we still need the enhancement of the scanner/parser combo to
> enable FOREIGN KEY specification as column constraint (the
> due to shift/reduce disabled NOT DEFERRABLE part).
> IMHO this must be done before going into BETA. As discussed,
> a little token lookup/queueing between lex and yacc can do
> the trick. I'd like to add a slightly generic method for it,
> so the lookahead function can be reused if we sometimes get
> trapped again with a similar problem.
> Do we have a consensus to implement it that way now?

AFAIR that was the only concrete solution offered. I think Thomas
wanted to look into whether he could tweak the grammar to avoid the
problem without lookahead, but he hasn't produced any results ---
and I misdoubt that a fix done that way will be any cleaner than
inserting a lexer lookahead interface.

In short, it's fine by me but I dunno if Thomas has signed on yet.