License Issue

From: "May, Randy" <Randy(dot)May(at)Teradata(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: License Issue
Date: 2009-04-21 15:13:48
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
PostGresQL Admin,

I am part of an organization that is beginning to write commercial
applications for various Portals (Liferay, etc.).  We would like to be
able to deploy PostGresQL as the lightweight database for the Portal to
connect to.  Our request for approval to our Legal Department has
stalled due to the following language in one of the files:

File: src/backend/port/dynloader/readme.dlfcn.aix

Language: "Permission is granted to freely use, copy, modify, and
redistribute this software, provided that no attempt is made to gain
profit from it..."

We are not planning to modify PostGreSQL, nor charging for support
services.

Given that we are building commercial applications, can I get
confirmation that we allowed to use (in-house) and deploy (to our
customers) PostGresQL to support our applications?

Thank you,

Randy May

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2009-04-21 15:37:15