Re: Wikipedia on Postgres (was Re: postgresql vs mysql)

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wikipedia on Postgres (was Re: postgresql vs mysql)
Date: 2007-02-25 15:51:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/25/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> > For the record, anyone using wikipgedia deserves the pain they
> > get: it is deprecated. The latest version of MediaWiki itself is what
> > should now be used: it will detect if you have Postgres upon
> > installation. :)
>
> Perhaps the project should be *gasp* deleted then? ;-) Or is there
> actual historical information there that someone would be interested in?

As I said in my other mail, some folks are still using PHP4 -- which is why
MediaWiki still maintains the 1.6 branch. I am more than willing to
contribute the most recent 1.6.10 codebase w/ PostgreSQL modifications to
the foundry. I am actively maintaining my own codebase for my site.

I agree with Greg, if you are already using PHP5 then use the MediaWiki
distribution, but if your stuck on PHP4 like me then you really don't have a
choice other than what is being offered on pgfoundry. :)