Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird
Date: 2007-02-02 04:13:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/1/07, RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com> wrote:

> How is FireBird rated when compared with PostgreSQL?

I don't know how it is rated, but honestly I looked at Firebird and it is
way too "quirky" and I could never get it to compile embedded. The
documentation is very very poor for that project when it comes to the
embedded model, if you ask me. Also, Firebird has odd license which I think
may limit your ability to commercially embed it without paying licensing --
not sure about that -- it certainly isn't as simple as a BSD license.

For embedded solutions I ended up looking at SQLite, which seems to work
well enough.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/