Re: Can a windows DLL have more than one process attached?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Mikhail Terekhov" <terekhov(at)emc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can a windows DLL have more than one process attached?
Date: 2001-12-02 14:01:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Mikhail Terekhov <terekhov(at)emc(dot)com> writes:
> > The reason is very simple: on nt4 & w98 (don't know about 95)
> > netmsg.dll doesn't contain socket error messages! I just checked
> > this on my work computer nt4(sp6).
>
> Ooops. Well, are there any WINxx platforms where netmsg *does* have
> something useful? Or is the entire code path a waste of time?

Never checked this before, but according to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netmgmt
/ntlmapi_5pwz.asp
(from the latest platform SDK - I think)
and
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q149409
(which references NT 3.51, so it's pretty old, but *probably* still
valid..)

It clearly states:
"
The error text for these messages is found in the message table file
named Netmsg.dll, which is found in %systemroot%\system32. This file
contains error messages in the range NERR_BASE (2100) through
MAX_NERR(NERR_BASE+899). These error codes are defined in the SDK header
file lmerr.h.
"

This means errors for the Net*** functions, which is the LAN Manager
client and server. This is *NOT* Windows Sockets. (And Winsock errors
are at >10000, so clearly does not fall withing
NERR_BASE<=n<=NERR_BASE+899).

So if that documentation is correct, then the entire path should be a
waste of time. But perhaps the original author has some other reference
that says it actually works with Winsock?

> Is there some other DLL we could look in instead?
I can't find a reference to one anywhere - except it's included by
default in at least Win2k and later (with no extra loading of DLLs)

//Magnus