accounting schema

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: accounting schema
Date: 2008-02-07 01:08:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I am learning my way into Accounting and was wondering how Accounting
applications are designed. perhaps you could point the way....

On one hand, accountants talk about a sacret equation A = L + OE (Asset =
Libility + Owner Equity) and then under each categories there are one or
many account. On the other hand a DBA thinks in terms of tables and
relations. Instead of getting theoritical, allow me to setup an example

Say you have have construction project (like a room addition) or one of
those flip this house deals

Owner brings the land (equity) of say worth $100K
Expenses begin to mount ( that is a minus against OE)
Account Payble begins to mount (that is a liability)
And one day you experience a sale

As a DBA, (and keeping it simple) I am thinking I need a table for every
account which migh look like

id, description, credit, debit, validated, created_on, created_by,
modified_on, modified_by

Is that pretty match it ?
Please let me know if you have seen some accounting or DB book that
addresses this problem domain.

Thanks
Medi