Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
Date: 2007-09-07 17:32:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott,

Well, there've been a lot of issues with anti-virus and postgresql not
> getting along. I wonder if pgsql takes out a stronger lock, and when
> it can't get it then the failure happens. Not familiar enough with
> windows to do more than speculate.

without touching the file-concurrency issues caused by virus scanners:

a LOT of the Postgres <-> VirusScanner problems on Windows were caused
during the "postgres spawns a new process and communicates with that process
via ipstack"

Many Virus Scanners seam to have dealt with the TCP/IP stack in a not
compatible manner...

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa