Re: Replication

From: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>
To: Arndt Lehmann <arndt(dot)lehmann(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2009-06-23 07:16:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Rubyrep looks very interesting, I just watched their 5min video and looks
very easy to setup.

Few questions.. The left/right database looks very limiting (you can only
replicate two databases at a time).. Their documentation says that the
solution is to setup a chain. To keep A, B and C in sync, A should
replicate with C and B should replicate with C:

http://www.rubyrep.org/replication_between_more_than_two_databases.html

There will be a set of triggers for each replication. Since MySql doesn't
support more than one trigger on a table, this approach won't work which I
guess is their way of saying "We're database independent, as long as you use
either Postgres or MySql oh and btw we have no replication story above 2
nodes on MySQL"

Also, if database C goes down, then everything goes kaboom, right? Even if
you did A replicates with B, B replicates with C, if one database goes down
your chain is broken. I'm worried about this scenario, and any perf
implications with having a whole bunch of triggers on a table. Maybe
someone can comment.

Mike