Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

From: "Ravi Chemudugunta" <chemuduguntar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ravi Chemudugunta" <chemuduguntar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions
Date: 2008-04-01 01:23:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

> In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
> as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.

I am running a benchmark with around 900,000 odd records (real-load on
the live machine :o ) ... should show hopefully some good benchmarking
results for the two methods.

> That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally. Given the lack of
> complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
> that much.

I would like to make a comment that is that the only downside I saw of
using the exception approach was that if for some reason someone
forgot to add the unique constraint to the table, it would be a bit of
a nightmare-ness. (I am porting some code into the server where the
schema does not have these constraints setup, only in the devel
database).

Will reply back with my conclusions, I am expecting a large difference.

Cheers,

ravi