running two clusters on one machine

From: Eric Smith <esmith(at)haas-software(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: running two clusters on one machine
Date: 2009-03-28 22:09:29
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

I'm trying to run two database clusters on a single machine, and am
failing. I use initdb to create the two clusters... each has their
own directory structure. I can start one server or the other with
pg_ctl, but once the first starts, the second just hangs on "waiting
for server to start...".

The two servers are using different ports. I'm running v 8.3 on a
Mac running 10.5.

What's the secret step I'm missing here?

Thanks,
Eric