Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4

From: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
To: pgsql List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date: 2003-10-24 17:07:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 11:26 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> How much SHM are you requesting (shared_buffers), and does the system
> allow for that much? There's some bootup script you can modify in OSX
> to up that limit if you need. Check google and/or Postgres' techdocs
> site.

I did a default configure and did not change anything in the .conf
file. It requests 10444800 bytes. But even if I drop max_connections
down to 10, it still won't start. Yes, I can modify SHMMAX for the
operating system to make it work but I'm trying to understand why I
need to do this when it was not necessary under 7.3 or an earlier 7.4
development build (pre beta 1). I was hoping it is a bug, because I
think it hurts the adoption of Postgresql if I have to worry about a
lot of low level OS settings just to setup a simple database.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.