Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?
Date: 2010-05-21 18:04:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 21, 2010, at 18:26 , Stephen Frost wrote:
> * David Fetter (david(at)fetter(dot)org) wrote:
>> These need to be testable conditions, and new tests need to get added
>> any time we find that we've missed something. Making this concept
>> fuzzier is exactly the wrong direction to go.
>
> I'm really not sure that we want to be in the business of writing a ton
> of regression tests to see if languages which claim to be trusted really
> are..

Well, testing software security via regression tests certainly is sounds intriguing. But unfortunately, it's impossible also AFAICS - it'd amount to testing for the *absence* of features, which seems hard...

I suggest the following definition of "trusted PL".
"While potentially preventing excruciating pain, saving tons of sweat and allowing code reuse, actually adds nothing in terms of features over pl/pgsql".

best regards,
Florian Pflug