Re: Patent issues and 8.1

From: Pailloncy Jean-Gerard <jg(at)rilk(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patent issues and 8.1
Date: 2005-01-26 11:29:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I live in Europe, and right now, the patent, if granted, would not
> have any effect on me. Even if Europe will have patents on software, I
> doubt that this ARC algorithm will be patentable in Europe.
Is it possible to have an abstraction api where we can plug different
algorithms.
With two plugins : LRU, ARC. ARC in a contrib module on european server
only. ;-)
So any people get the best in regard to their local law. ;-/

It is a trick, a work-around, ok.
BUT, a general way to have some plugins for cache, database file
format, etc (like the one for new type/operator) could be very
interesting :
a) as a patent workaround
b) as a framework to test new feature

Cordialement,