Re: When to use postgreSQL

From: Jan Eden <temp(at)janeden(dot)org>
To: Man Lam <mklam3(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to use postgreSQL
Date: 2011-01-04 17:59:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Ken,

On 04.01.2011, at 16:37, Man Lam wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Our company is looking into the possibility of using it.
>
> Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable for using postgreSQL. From the internet, it seems like it is good for web development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?
> And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing better than the other dbs ?

I just switched three Django projects from MySQL to PostgreSQL mainly because of two resaons:

- licensing/development outlook (I don't like the direction MySQL takes under Oracle)
- enforced data integrity (I shot myself in the foot a couple of times with MySQL)

After the switch, I have not seen a performance difference (yet) compared to MySQL 5.1 (MyISAM), but I never cared to optimize my database server and MySQL promises to be a lot faster.

Kind regards,
Jan