RE: postgres jdbc source code

From: Jeroen Habets <jeroen(dot)habets(at)framfab(dot)nl>
To: "'Dmitri Colebatch'" <dim(at)nuix(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Pgsql-Hackers (E-mail)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: postgres jdbc source code
Date: 2001-05-04 10:34:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

G'day mate,

Sure, it's fine to mail me...Actually I haven't found the time to get
involved in the JDBC driver (it now does what I need it to do, and I'm
behind schedule with a project of mine ;-) so your involvement is very
welcome!

Probably the best thing is to access the CVS but on the postgres FTP site
they also put a snapshot every so often. The opt package contains the jdbc
driver ('interface' in postgrespeak):

ftp://download.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/postgresql/dev/postgresql-opt-sna
pshot.tar.gz

The thing I modified was that setXXX methods in PreparedStatement have a
decent (and JDBC spec abiding) null parameter check. (I want, and the JDBC
spec demands, that when I call setObject(null), or setDate(null) a NULL
value, in the resulting query, gets send to the database.

The reason why PostgreSql is such a pain in the ass for Java developers is
that they have to use transactions to use BLOB's (when updating them, ok,
but _also_ when selecting them!). The solution in my opinion would be to
have transactions around ResultSets in autocommit mode...
A similar solution would probably not be wise for PreparedStatements,
because ps's get created ahead of use (could result in lot's of lingering
open transactions)

I'll send you my driver as well (Note that you have to change the JDBC1
implementation as well, I haven't checked but I should have kept them in
sync)

Greetz from the Low Lands,
Jeroen

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql_jdbc.zip application/octet-stream 368.9 KB