Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema

From: Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm(at)mock-software(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
Date: 2005-01-31 18:11:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi *,

I will start implementing this stuff based on this syntax:

GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
GRANT SELECT ON NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;

so there are two seperate commands to use.

is everybody fine with this aproach?

cheers,

Matthias

PS.: Tom, shouldn't we mention the fact, that one can grant on views
and sequences as well in the documentation?

Am 29.01.2005 um 01:43 schrieb Tom Lane:

>> GRANT SELECT ON ALL, NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
>> ... does both.
>
> Ah, I overlooked that part of your message. I think the above probably
> doesn't work in bison, but if not we could spell it like
>
> GRANT SELECT ON ALL AND NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
>
> Or just make the user enter two commands for this case. Aside from
> syntactic simplicity, that might be a good idea anyway. The NEW TABLES
> case is *fundamentally* different from every other form of GRANT, in
> that it causes future actions. So it might be a wise idea from the
> standpoint of understandability to keep it as a separate command from
> the immediate-acting ALL TABLES.
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Matthias Schmidt