Add a ROWCOUNT to the output of a select.

From: Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis <gavinb(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Add a ROWCOUNT to the output of a select.
Date: 2008-05-13 23:54:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Everyone,

After spending some time searching through our good friend Mr. Google
and the mailing list I found a post that provided me with a query that
does just what I need.

However, the query takes FOREVER and although this is stated in the
original mail I thought I would ask if there was any advice that you
might be able to provide to speed things up a little.

And while the query does return over 27,000 rows in my case, I didn't
expect it to take 9 minutes and 11 seconds!

Please find the query below - and of course - thanks in advance for
any assistance you might be able to provide me with!

select
(select
count(*)
from
myTable as myCount
where
myCount.contactdate <= myTable.contactdate
) as rownum,
contactdate
from
myTable