Re: Column qualifier issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jimw(at)kelcomaine(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column qualifier issue
Date: 2004-01-13 04:56:27
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jim Wilson" <jimw(at)kelcomaine(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, I think you are correct on that. I was misreading column reference for
> column name. Would it be difficult to patch my local copy to either permit
> this or strip off the characters from the qualifier portion in the parser?

[shrug...] You could probably hack the grammar to throw away a
qualifier there, but wouldn't it be easier to fix your incorrect SQL?

AFAICS, SQL92 does not allow a qualified name there, and SQL99 does but
appears to assign it some completely other semantics than what you're
expecting --- looks like an object method call of some kind... so you
are in for trouble in the long run if you don't fix your code.