Strange query planner behavior

From: EffiSYS / Martin Querleu <martin(dot)querleu(at)effisys(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Strange query planner behavior
Date: 2019-11-30 08:31:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello

I have a strange problem with the query planner on Postgresql 11.5 on
Debian stretch, the plan differs between the following 2 requests:

- SELECT * FROM LIVRAISON WHERE ID_MASTER = 10 which uses a btree index
on ID_MASTER (the table has 1M rows). Everything is normal
- SELECT * FROM LIVRAISON WHERE ID_MASTER = (SELECT 10) which uses a seq
scan and is 3000 times slower

I don't understand how the planner cannot consider that a subselect with
an = is equivalent to having = VALUE (the subselect either returning 1
row or NULL)

I don't have the same behavior on other column with indexes of the same
table, maybe it's because 99% or the table has ID_MASTER = 0? I can
understand that if the value returned by the subquery is 0 the seqscan
could be faster (in our case it is still slower than index scan but only
by 2 times), but if the subquery does not return 0 in no case the
seqscan could be faster. The question is why is the subquery not
calculated before choosing wether to use the index or not since it will
return a single value?

Thanks for your reply and sorry if the question is stupid

Best regards
Martin Querleu