Status of inheritance-changing patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Status of inheritance-changing patch
Date: 2000-02-05 17:10:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris,
This is to let you know that the core list has discussed this patch,
and we feel that it is not appropriate to apply it at this late stage
in the 7.0 development cycle. There are several reasons for this:

* It appears that making such a definitional change is still
controversial. (One thing that still needs to be looked at is whether
SQL 3 defines any comparable features, and if so whether we ought
to be following their syntax and behavior.)

* The implications of changing this behavior still need to be followed
through in the rest of the system. For example, it doesn't make much
sense to me to change SELECT to have recursive behavior by default when
UPDATE and DELETE can't yet do it at all. A user would naturally
expect "UPDATE table" to scan the same tuples that "SELECT FROM table"
does.

* It's awfully late in the 7.0 development cycle to be making such a
significant change. We have only ten days left to scheduled beta,
which is not enough time to find and work out any unexpected problems
that may be lurking.

We encourage you to continue to work on this line of development,
but with an eye to merging your code into CVS early in the 7.1 cycle,
rather than trying to squeeze it into 7.0 at the last minute.