Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...
Date: 2016-09-12 01:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 9/11/16, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I was able to find cases during test which were not handled
>> correctly with either version, so I tweaked the query a little.

> Hmm. Which one? Attempt to "SET ROLE <grouprole>"?
> Unfortunately, I after reading your letter I realized that I missed a
> case (it is not working even with your version):

I wasn't aware that this patch was doing anything nontrivial ...

After looking at it I think it's basically uninformed about how to test
for ownership. An explicit join against pg_roles is almost never the
right way for SQL queries to do that. Lose the join and write it more
like this:

+"SELECT pg_catalog.quote_ident(d.datname) "\
+" FROM pg_catalog.pg_database d "\
+" WHERE substring(pg_catalog.quote_ident(d.datname),1,%d)='%s' "\
+" AND (d.datistemplate OR pg_catalog.pg_has_role(d.datdba, 'USAGE'))"

See the information_schema views for precedent.