Re: Renaming conversion procs (was Re: Error on compile for Windows)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Renaming conversion procs (was Re: Error on compile for Windows)
Date: 2009-11-02 19:43:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 18:54, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> [ rename some conversion libraries to shorten source path names ]

> Seems like this would be a major PITA for packagers and end-user.

If we actually wanted to back-patch it, I think the least painful way
would be to tweak the Makefiles to install the built .so's under the old
names in existing release branches. Then it would be a PITA only to the
developers ;-). I don't personally feel it's worth it, even so. There
are not that many people trying to build from source with weird tools.