Re: PostGIS Integration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, Mark Cave-Ayland <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>, dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGIS Integration
Date: 2004-02-04 07:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> Those two cases are not hard, because in those scenarios the parser
>> knows it is expecting a type specification. The real problem is this
>> syntax for typed literals:
>> typename 'string'

> Just disallow that particular case for custom types :P

Well, maybe we could --- comments? Tom Lockhart went to some lengths to
support that, but now that he's gafiated we could perhaps rethink it.
AFAICS the SQL spec only requires this syntax for certain built-in types.
Tom wanted to generalize that to all datatypes that Postgres supports,
and that seems like a reasonable goal ... but if it prevents getting to
other reasonable goals then we ought to think twice.

> Will this work: 'string'::typename

Yes, since the :: cues the parser to expect a typename next.