Re: libpq ssl -> clear fallback looses error messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq ssl -> clear fallback looses error messages
Date: 2008-10-10 23:41:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I noticed while working on general fixes for the certificate handling
> that if we have a connection being attempted with sslmode=prefer (which
> happens to be our default), we will loose error messages.

Yeah, this came up awhile ago. I don't see any easy solution that
isn't just moving the bad cases around ... although maybe moving them
away from the default/common cases could be a good thing anyway.

> Basically, if we fail the SSL connection, we will throw away the error
> message and try a cleartext connection.

Maybe the answer is to not throw away the first error message? But
presenting both messages could be confusing too.