Re: localhost redux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: localhost redux
Date: 2004-07-20 12:32:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
>> I think you should first trace down what the problem really is --- is
>> your system just misconfigured or is there some fundamental issue that
>> we really ought to answer to?

> The trouble on AIX is, that getaddrinfo only does a nameservice lookup,
> no /etc/hosts.

Wouldn't that break many other programs besides Postgres? But in any
case if your nameserver doesn't resolve localhost, I'd say you'd better
fix your nameserver. See eg, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html

The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
loop back IP address and is reserved for such use. Any other use
would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.